What is HCG Diet?
HCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, is a hormone present at high levels in early pregnancy. When taken in specific doses, hCG reduces feelings of hunger and maintains muscle mass during a diet. The hCG diet is a medically-supervised, very low calorie diet. This diet causes fast weight loss of up to 1/2 – 1 pound per day without feeling hungry during the process.
How Does HCG Diet Work?
The hCG diet follows strict guidelines. The diet allows for 500-800 calories per day for 3-6 weeks at a time. It also features a very specific food list and layout of meals. Throughout the diet, hCG is taken in certain doses to provide 2 advantages—appetite suppression and muscle mass preservation.
- HCG changes sensations of hunger that lead to appetite suppression.
- HCG preserves lean muscle mass during the diet, so most of the weight being lost is made up of fat instead of muscle.
The diet includes 3 phases:
- The loading phase consists of 2-3 days of eating high-fat, high-calorie foods while taking hCG.
- The second phase is the weight loss phase which consists of a very low calorie diet while taking hCG.
- The third phase works to stabilize weight loss by eating a low carb diet for three weeks, with no hCG being taken at this time.
What to Expect at Renovus Medical Spa
Renovus Medical Spa offers free, no obligation consultations with our board-certified physician, Dr. Clemons. During the consultation, Dr. Clemons will determine if you are a candidate for the hCG diet. He will address any questions or concerns raised by the patient and then set up a treatment protocol. The patient will be given their prescription as well as literature for approved foods and general information. A follow up appointment will be scheduled 4 weeks into the diet to assess the patient’s progress.
Users can expect to lose 1/2 – 1 pound per day. Additional rounds of these phases can be done until one’s desired goal weight is reached.